Landlord & Household Insurance

  • Terms & Conditions

    Privacy Notice

  • Please enter the first line of your address
  • Please enter your full postcode
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

What is Landlord Insurance?

Landlord insurance is specific protection for rental properties. As a landlord, you will need a particular type of insurance for properties you rent out to tenants. This cover usually includes the same type of protection as your usual house insurance, such as cover for buildings and contents in the event of a range of circumstances.


Extra cover you need as a landlord includes:

  • Damage to your property (by the tenant)
  • Loss of earnings / rehousing costs if the tenants have to move out (following an insured event)
  • Liability for incidents involving the property that results in third party damage or injuries

What is Household Insurance?

Home insurance cover comes in two parts – buildings insurance and contents insurance. You can choose either one or both of these based on your needs. Buildings cover insures your bricks and mortar for events like fire and weather damage, whilst contents cover will protect your belongings against problems like theft, damage and loss. Buying a combined policy from the same insurer can often be cheaper than getting two separate policies.


Do you need Landlord & Household Insurance?

If you’re the owner of a property that you want to rent out, there are currently no legal requirements which state that you must have insurance. However, if you have a buy-to-let mortgage on your property, your lender may specify that you have insurance in place.

We recommend that you consider a policy which has been designed for landlords. A standard home buildings or contents policy won’t consider the potential risks that landlords face, such as loss of rent and accommodation costs should your tenants have to move out after an insured event.

If you’re a homeowner, most mortgage lenders insist you have buildings cover in place to protect their investment. You don’t usually need buildings cover if you’re renting, but you may want contents insurance to help cover the cost of replacing your things if you suffer a loss. Household insurance for a let property will not pay out nor will a home insurance policy replicate or indemnify a property being let out in the event of a claim being made.


How can we help?

In the last few years here at Milestone we have built a reputation as a major landlord and household insurance broker in West Yorkshire. Due to this we have access to several highly affordable property insurance products to use nationwide. We are dedicated to finding you an appropriate policy to cover all your assets whether you are a home owner, tenant, landlord or business owner.


We offer competitive, no obligation quotations in:

  • Landlord insurance
  • Household insurance
  • Tenants contents insurance
  • Commercial property insurance
  • Holiday and second home insurance
  • Unoccupied property insurance
  • Rent guarantees


Related Articles